Saturday, May 20, 2017

Graphic Novel Review of Huck, Book 1: All American by Mark Millar

Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge
 
Synopsis: "What if the person you least expected had an amazing secret?

In a quiet seaside town, a gas station clerk named Huck secretly uses his special gifts to do a good deed each day. When his story leaks, a media firestorm erupts, bringing him uninvited fame. As pieces of Huck's past begin to resurface, it's no longer clear who his friends are -- or whose lives may be in danger.
Collects HUCK #1-6"


My Review: I wasn't too sure what to expect in this graphic novel, but I had read a short Huck story in one of the bind ups and really enjoyed it. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. I have heard that this is a reimagined Superman, but honestly while there are similarities, I think Huck is different enough to be its own story. I really adore Huck as a character, he has such a sweet soft side even with all the strength and abilities, even when offered so much more, he still retains that goodness about him. I like that this is a super hero book without being just like every other super hero book out there. While I really enjoyed this one and as much as I would like to read more of Huck and see where the storyline takes him, this is the only one out so far.
 
My Rating: I really enjoyed this one, more than I expected. It is a super hero GN without being overly super hero or having to wade through too much backstory.  I also really liked the art style of it too.  I give this one a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds like it is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really enjoy it! It is super hero without really being super hero and the art style is great.

      Delete