Friday, May 19, 2017

Early Reader Review of The Garden that We Grew by Joan Holub

Read for: Early Reader Challenge
 
Synopsis: "It's spring and that means time for gardening! Carefully tended seeds grow to become buds, then plants, then pumpkins filled with seeds-ready for planting all over again! With eye-catching illustrations and fun-to-read texts, these latest additions to the Viking Easy-to-Read series are sure to get rave reviews from new readers."

My Review: I couldn't decide based on the title and synopsis if this was a good spring read or fall read. I think it turns out to be better for late summer and fall, during harvest time. This is a good level 2 book, it has a nice story to keep the reader interested with some more complex sentences and words. While we enjoyed the story, I was hoping it would involve more than just the pumpkins on the cover, but it turns out it doesn't involve more plants in the garden. Munchkin seemed to enjoy this one but we haven't picked it up again.
 
My Rating: I was a little disappointed in this book, I was hoping for more than just pumpkins.  There are already so many books about pumpkins, what about some corn, or beans, or peas and lettuce?  Anyway, it was a good book but not what we wanted.  We give it a rating of Three Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment